Careers and Internships
What are the advantages of a Career in Finance?
The career opportunities in the field of finance are many and varied. A career in finance is interesting, challenging, flexible and offers excellent compensation. Many top executives have succeeded because of their education and experience in finance.
What kinds of people are successful in Finance?
- can think analytically to solve problems
- can make decisions
- communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- like to work with other people and on teams
- can grasp details as well as the big picture
What are some examples of Finance Careers?
The opportunities broadly fall into two areas, financial services and corporate finance. The financial services area encompasses offering advice and products to individuals, business and government. Examples, include commercial banking, financial planning, money management, insurance and real estate. Corporate finance applies to any type of business or governmental organization, either for-profit and not-for-profit large or small, public or private. Examples include financial analysis, cash management, credit analysis, capital budgeting, and risk management.
|Commercial Banking – Includes opportunities in branch level jobs, leasing, credit card banking international finance and trade credit. More people are employed in this area than any other part of the financial services industry.|
|Corporate Finance – Careers in this area mean that you would work for a company to help find money to run the business, grow the business, make acquisitions, plan for its financial future and manage any cash on-hand.|
|Money Management – Money managers hold stocks and bonds for institutional clients and are on the buy side of Wall Street.|
|Financial Planning – Financial planners understand investments, taxes, and estate planning issues in order to help individuals plan their financial futures.|
|Insurance – Jobs in insurance involve helping individuals and businesses manage risk to protect themselves from catastrophic losses and to anticipate potential risk problems.|
|Investment Banking – Helping companies and governments issue securities, help investors purchase securities, manage financial assets, trade securities and provide financial advice.|
|Real Estate – Titles include tital insurance, construction, mortgage banking, property management, real estate appraisals, brokerage and leasing real estate development and corporate real estate.|
An excellent website for additional details about Careers in Finance is http://www.careers-in-finance.com.
For college students who join a student chapter of the Financial Management Association International , a book, Careers in Finance, is available which provides “information on what professionals in finance do, what types of decisions they make, on what types of
interrelationships they must deal with, and what skills and abilities they must have to be successful” [FMA, Careers in Finance, Introduction].
How can the OSU Finance Department help me prepare for a career in Finance?
- You will receive a strong foundation in accounting and economics, which are the basis for financial decisions and analyses
- You will develop the ability to communicate through class presentations and written assignments.
- You will take courses in financial management investments, international finance, real estate investment and finance, bank management, risk management, financial markets, portfolio management and insurance.
- You will develop critical thinking skills through the analysis of realistic case problems and playing business computer simulations games.
- You will learn to work with other people through team projects.
- You will have the opportunity to gain practical experience through internships in businesses.
- You will gain experience in using computers and other technology to solve problems.
- You will interact with faculty and other Finance students through student organizations such as the OSU Student Chapter of the Financial Management Association.
Examples of Finance Careers
|Portfolio Manager||Insurance Underwriter||Real Estate Broker|
|Bank Loan Officer||Bond Dealer||Internal Auditor|
|Security Analyst||Mortgage Lender||Risk Manager|
|Trust Officer||Cash Management||Credit Analyst|
|Real Estate Appraiser||Capital Budgeting||Futures Trader|
|Investment Banker||Branch Manager||Foreign Currency Trader|
|Insurance Adjuster||Credit Union Manager||Personal Financial Planner|
|Stock Broker||Financial Consultant||Insurance Agent|
|Bank Examiner||Pension Fund Manager||Hospital Treasurer|
|Municipal Treasurer||Corporate Treasurer||Merger Specialist|
|Chief Financial Officer|